The long awaited shuttle Endeavor launch. So I have confession to make, when you watch the video you will notice I put some music in during my filming...that was to cover up the fact that I sound like a total idiot!!!!! I guess everyone hates the sound of their own voice on film, but I was over the top. If you heard the thing you would think I was winning the publishers clearinghouse not watching a shuttle launch from fifty miles away......
Yes 50 miles away! let me tell you a little about launches. Binyam was going to take the day off work, but a launch is an entire day affair. You have to get there hours early to get a good seat then the launch happens...all five minutes of it....then you wait in traffic for up to four hours! Binyam didn't get the day off and secretly I was a little relieved. I had heard the night launches are amazing, but I wasn't sure if I was up to dealing with it with a little girl who is in the throngs of her terrible two's!
I remembered at 7pm that the launch was happening at 7:55. There is no use watching tv because the news stations cut in, so Ella and I went into the backyard. I wasn't sure what I was going to see. I had a vague idea, which turned out to be spot-on, where the shuttle would launch from.
So then here enters the idiot....I was looking in the general direction when I suddenly saw the sky light up orange. I was shocked. It was a clear night with a few clouds and all of the sudden they lit up orange. The shock in my voice is nothing short of a total idiot.
I continued on with the shock and awe narrative for about a minute until I was just speechless. I am still a little amazed by the whole thing. I couldn't believe you could see it like we did 50 miles away....So here is it with some news clips that I threw together for ya. It might be a little difficult to see unless you look at it full screen so I hope you have that option...It is amazing........Keep a watch towards the left of the screen. Actually where you see the moon, below that where the land would be there are two street lamps that are reflecting in the water a little bit, the shuttle appears exactly overtop of the lamp that is toward the inside of the picture (not the outside left lamp...)
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment