Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Blast from the past...

In keeping with yesterday's theme...I don't think I ever posted these because I did not have a blog at the time. These pictures were from the June 7, 2007 launch of the space Shuttle Atlantis. When I went to work that day I had no idea we would be going to a launch. I was just sitting there listening to the radio and heard that there was a launch at 7:35pm. I had a bright idea to go and went with it. My co-worker at the time gave me an inside scoop of a location he claimed was just about as close as a civilian could get. I wondered about that but off we went in search of this great site. Where we ended up was a causeway that connects Titusville and Merritt Island (where NASA is) togather. I kid you not we took the last parking spot on that causeway (which is an importatnt componant that come to play in the end....). He was right. From what I figured there was no way to get any closer. The launch was spectacular. I have to admit I have a few blurred photo's of when it was just taking off which I was disappointed about but it happens so fast and unfortunatly there are no re-do's. And amazingly it is over in minutes. The launch I showed you yesterday could be seen way longer than a sunny day launch.....So I know we were as close as we can get because just after the launch we rushed to our cars to get out and didn't budge an inch for about fourty five minutes. We decicded to go the other direction onto the island which NASA shares with Teen Missions and I thought to go to TMI to say hi. It was then that I realized how close we actually were, they had just removed barracades which prevented you getting any closer to NASA side. I wish I had a good ending to the story. We never made it to TMI because we thought we were going to run out of gas driving through a wildlife reserve. When we finally did get gas we thought we were home free only to get in line for about a four hour wait, comming in the back end of the traffic we thought we were going around.....UGh....

I acutually do have a good ending...We saw this amazing shuttle launch! Soon it was all be history. NASA is finishing up with the shuttles this next year. 2009 is last time in history you will ever be able to see a shuttle launch. And we have been there and done that......







No comments: