Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ice - The Revival.



It's cold in Florida. What does that mean? Well last night it dipped down below freezing. Its cold, however we are lucky to have some reprieve from it during the day when the sun shines bright enough to warm the earth up to the 50's. Tomorrow its supposed to be 65 and getting towards 70 the following day. However the mere talk of cold sends the state into a frenzy.

So last night I went outside and covered up our palm tree. It sustained a little damage in last weeks freeze. So while I am out there putting a sheet over these two trees, which happen to be very prickly, I had this feeling come over me that I was doing something very noble. Ha, I am ridiculous. Covering up a darn tree! I was thinking about that this morning, laughing at my own idiocy, when I thought, you know we all need to be taken care of, and wouldn't it be nice if people out there took it as their noble duty to lovingly look after one another. Oh well. I just reached for my copy of 'Tuesday's With Morrie' by Mitch Albom, but I forgot I loaned it to my supervisor. I wanted to share an excerpt with you. If you haven't ever read it, it is wonderful you should. Its about a radio talk show host who visits with a cherished college professor, who is dying, every Tuesdays who shares loving wisdom from his life and journey he is on. There is one chapter that Mitch talks about Morrie loosing his battle with his disease. He said that someone was "wiping his (Morrie) butt." It went on to say that Morrie surrendered to that and actually grew to like it. Morrie said something to the fact we all have a deep need to be taken care of. That there is a point when our parents grossly minimize their care of us and all our lives we yearn to have that again. I can defiantly say that I have my own behind covered, but it is interesting. I need to care for people more and be more mindful of what is going on with them. People go into deep freezes all the time, and take years to recover from the bite of hurt that has happened in their hearts. I need to be more mindful....


No comments: