Monday, December 15, 2008

Jolly old St. Nicholas

We went to Disney over the weekend. We went first into the Magic Kingdom. I think no one saw poor lonely St. Nick because the line wasn't long at all, it was directly at the entrance to the park.....Ella had fun exploring the grounds in the little mini-winter wonderland. I was wondering how she would do with the character. Ella has her whims when she goes to see a character sometimes she loves them sometimes she wants nothing to do with them, this day was an "on" day for her and we got some good pictures!






There is lot of controversy about telling Christian children about Santa. My sister asked me my stance on it just last week. Well, I guess I don't take it too seriously and there-in lies my stance on it. Christmas is about Jesus. I guess I take it as I do Mickey Mouse and the princess....we don't "believe" in them, they are just colorful little characters like Santa. I was raised with Santa in that aspect. On Christmas day we had a birthday cake and sang happy birthday to Jesus, that was more real to me than Santa ever was. I don't think I was ruined for life because we were an evangelical christian family with Santa. My Edie back home pointed out a sculpture to me I had never seen before.

This is santa at christmas to me.....



Santa Claus found Bethlehem
In a plastic Nativity set that night.

He jumped from his magical sleigh
To kneel before this shimmering sight.

He gazed at the Infant cradled in snow.
Joseph and Mary had a heavenly glow.

Blessings of Christmas were not on His sleigh.
Blessings of Christmas were born in the hay.

The world has its eyes on gifts of shining gold,
But Christ is the greatest gift the world will behold.

1 comment:

Christina said...

That's great! I, as i'm sure you can well image, had very strong opinions for the longest time about how to handle "Santa" in a Christian home. I think your family and now you have a good balance. Merry Christmas!