
Yesterday was the memorial of the end of World War 1. We found ourselves at The Fantasy of Flight in Polk City Florida for their third annual Roar and Soar celebration of history! We saw some amazing things!!! Had a great time!

This was one of my favorites. May be because Cold Case last week did a story on the W.A.S.P., but mostly its my interest in history. I love reading and history to me is like reading a fictional story only better becasue its true. I think that must make no sense, but it does in my mind. Anyways. Wikipedia says,"The WASP or The
Women Airforce Service Pilot, and the predecessor groups the Women’s Flying Training Detachment (WFTD) and the Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron (WAFS) (from September 10, 1942) were pioneering organizations of civilian female pilots employed to fly military aircraft under the direction of the United States Army Air Forces during World War II. The female pilots would number thousands, each freeing a male pilot for combat service and duties. The WFTD and WAFS were combined on August 5, 1943 to create the para-military WASP organization."
And here was a real live WASP. So interesting, I am so intrigued. I think how she was one of those women who helped break down barriers for freedom's for women like VOTING. I mean she probly had little direct impact, but little by little the things like what her and other women did gradually chipped away at old ideology that says women can't do much beyond the kitchen and the bedroom. I'm not really a women's liber all the way.....but. Look at the middle east. Look at the oppression of women there. There is a happy medium between here and there. I am thankful women like this one helped make things better. It was really neat to scoop up this piece of history in our hearts!

Here she is pointing to a picture of herself in 1944. Amazing.....
No comments:
Post a Comment