Monday, February 23, 2015

Speaking of Cabbage Patch Kids...

I pretty much know the exact date this photo was taken. July 29, 1981. Exact date. Not that I have a good memory at all, actually a wisp of a memory and google helped with the rest. I know this vacation, probably in route to New York to visit with family, we stopped at a Knight's Inn, we swam and somehow in the chaos of four kids in a hotel room my mom was purposeful to have me sit down and watch Lady Diana, marry Price Charles of Wales. I remember being happy high from being at a hotel room and away from our routine. Having fun, swimming. And watching that AMAZING dress trail behind that princess as she walked up the Westminster Abby steps into that grand church and down the long isle. I was totally absorbed in the fairy tale of it all. Looking back we were never into fairy tales and princesses but actually we were, just the real ones.

And my cabbage patch. I was serious about her, look at that swaddle she was in. That is serious business right there! I can't remember her name. I wanna say it was Rebecca, not because I liked that name but because it was what her birth certificate said. No wonder I grew up with a deep deep fondness for adoption. And by the way we all had dolls, even my brothers. When I called my brother Mark whose birthday is just days after mine and told him I had been to Babyland, he genuinely said, "wow that is cool." And while I was at Babyland they said the boys dolls that we did have. Todd and Oscar are now worth quite a mint since boy dolls are far more rare. Interesting. So this photo is loaded with memories. Not forgotten.

No comments: