Friday, September 20, 2013

Stranger, sister, friend


Binyam's sister had an oppertunity to visit us. I had never met her. Long story, but being in Ethiopia for only a few days I didn't have the chance to meet any of his family. His brother who lives in Scotland came over just about exactly when we moved to Orlando. Later we brought his parent's over from Ethiopia to visit us here so we had time with them. That left his two sisters and one brother who are still in Ethiopia. His sister came for a work related project and was able to re-route her trip through Orlando to visit with us.

So we pulled out all the Orlando charm any visitor in the world would want to see. We took some time off work and got to the sighseeing. I am serious about sight seeing. I love experiences and attack them wholeheartedly. I think it was nice for Binyam who hadn't seen his sister in nine years so have this lovely tourist world to escape to. I didn't know her at all. He barely did either after all these years.

Somewhere along the line this stranger became Eden. Someone I knew I was now related to, family, but was still getting to know.

We did all the usual things, shopping, Downtown Disney, the ocean, NASA stuff, Magic Kingdom. Somewhere in all that I began to know who Eden was. What made her laugh, what filled her with wonder, what she questioned. I was beginning to know her and realized I really liked her. She was becomming my friend.

As she sat at breakfast the morning she was leaving and we were all choking back tears. I was thanking God for the unique family that we have. It isn't easy. Family never is. Its complex. Thank goodness God doesn't see time like we do and unraveled the complexities in five days. Shed off the shells of mystery and presented to me the priceless gift of coming to know Eden from a stranger to a sister and a friend.!

No comments: