Wednesday, September 7, 2011

To Michigan



This is not why we went to Michigan but it is a close second. In fact we couldn't wait. The plane pretty much landed and we dumped the kids with my mom at the hotel room and off we went. I love you Cedarland. I remembered the way to get there like it was the back of my hand. Through the sketchy factory ally of Detroit till you emerge in Arab land...Dearborn Michigan.

Binyam wanted me to take this picture so you cold see the authentic Arab people in the back there....I didn't have the heart to tell him he looked a little on the authentic side his self. Funny thing about the past times we have went there. When the men chat with Binyam they always assume he is from some other Arab country not their own. If they are from India they think Binyam is from Pakistan. If they are from Yamen they think Binyam is from Saudi. The circle of understanding ends when he tells them he is from Ethiopia. They are usually impressed by that. Ethiopia is 50% Muslim. That is about where the conversation ends because guess what the next question is......Oh and another thing about having Binyam around. We get quicker service when he wants something. Humph.
I could care less I could wait forever and a day for these little butes. These are pickled turnips. Oh yummm....my mouth is watering.......I went through two plates of these little guys knowing full well I wouldn't be able to get a ring on or off the next day because of it. So worth it.
Next on the agenda. Fattoush. Arab salad made all the better by pita "croutons". That is a half eaten plate. I couldn't even wait. It must have looked crazy every time a plate came out we were silent and the flash bulbs went off as we took pictures.


Tabouli. Not so much my favorite but after not having it for years I even enjoyed it. It is basically a ton of chopped up Parsley with tahini, tomatoes and cucumbers. So good with some pita and hummus wrapped up with a picked turnip. Drool...........


Lamb Shawarma with rice. We went for the total feast since we wouldn't be back for a while.....
Lamb and chicken kabobs with houmous.



No comments: