Friday, September 16, 2011

Old houses


When tillage begins, other arts follows. The farmers therefore are the founders of human civilization." Daniel Webster


Home of the famous Firestone tires founder.
Giving farm life a go.....
This is a "tire' of a steam powered tractor. Very cool.

This historical home was a real working farm. The employees ran it like it would have been run a hundred years ago. Here the woman is washing clothes in the basement area of the house.
This woman is making biscuits. The weird look on the lady's face is because I was about to lean on the hot cast iron stove....Woops.

I grew up at Greenfield village. I can't even remember when I went for the first time. As school kids we went to Greenfield village and had school at old school houses. As a family we went there for Halloween where they had all the walkways lines with real lit pumpkins and brown paper bags. It was lovely. We trick-or-treated at Henry Ford's childhood home and the at the storefront of Wilber Wright. Pretty cool, in retrospect. At the time I thought they were just "old houses" just like Ella and Payton. Hopefully one day Ella will respect that she once played inside the home of a tire tycoon and danced in the dust of a plantation slave home......

No comments: