Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A memory of Zambia and of India....

I was telling my brother Jeff about this picture, so I thought I'd just throw it on up here....

I took this picture in Zambia, so I obviously have memories of Zambia when I look at it. However there is a dual memory in it for me. When I lived in India I use to peruse the newspaper for any usable scrapbook material. Stuff to mark my memories by. I found some really neat stuff including a contest for children celebrating India's national day. They had tons of gorgeous hand drawn pictures made only by children. Anyways, that's all beside the point. I found a beautiful ad that looked much like this one, just different situation. There was a line of sari clad women standing for a wedding portrait. There was one little girl amongst them, who just beamed. The photographer decided to bend over and take only the little girl's photo framing her background in a stunning array of billowing colorful sari's. I loved the picture. It was just a frame of India for me. Did you know right now in India there are more children under 18 than there are people in the whole of the United States? It's true! beautiful that stand out like gems admit the dust and dirt of India and children....the best memories you can take from India.....

So this picture has dual memories because it was composed much like the ad I saw in India. I'll have to search for that ad. I cut it out. I suppose it doesn't matter much that I cut it out except to share it with you, because its burned as a memory in my mind and linked invisibly to this picture forever....

No comments: