My other frugal gifting is garage sales. I am lucky enough to live in a place where garage sales abound all year long. In other words, paradise. I am a garage sale junkie. I came into the world of garage saleing when we had Ella. I knew to dress my little doll baby the way I wanted to, retail was going to bankrupt me. So I went to garage sales. Lots of Ella's clothes are name brand. I have tons of Gap, Children's Place and Gymboree clothes for her and have rarely went in any one of the stores, ever. Lately my frugal finds in the children's clothing arena are dwindling. I believe because the older they get the less clothing people buy for their kids because they wear them longer, and because they wear them longer if you do find them at a garage sale they can often be well worn and frankly not worth it.So what's a girl to do? Shift my focus! Latley I have been collecting kitchen wares. A few monthes ago I found some fantastic Pier One stoneware baking dishes for two doller each. This past weekend I went for frivilous kitchen equiptment I would never otherwise pay full price for. I got this lovely bread machine for five dollars. It was a risky move becuase the thing might not work, but it did. Woo Hoo. I also bought an ice cream machine, five dollars also and it was brand-spankin' new! I made double vanilla strawberry ice cream and it was yum!
I consider garage sales to be blessings. I work for a non-profit and my husband at a warehouse, not exaclty money makers. However we lack for nothing. Benjamin Franklin said, "Fools make feasts and wise men eat them." I wonder if he garage saled?




2 comments:
It's so much better for you to make your own bread, not to mention it smells DIVINE while baking! Wish I lived in Garage Sale heaven... I have to wait until the warmest three months of the year here !
You go girl! I love it! We don't have as many garage sales but I do great at Goodwill, consignment shops etc. All my bags/purses are from Goodwill at $3 each & I get lots of compliments on them. You can take more fashion risks & have more fun when you're not dealing with big bucks.
We also make our own laundry soap. Any more thrifty ideas? I love to hear & copy them!
Post a Comment