Monday, January 27, 2014

Holy moley manatee.

 We went to visit my Dad the second weekend in January to celebrate Ezra's birthday. Dad told me about a Manatee festival. One thing I miss about Michigan is the festival's. They have festivals here but they are swarming with people and I just can't stand it. Some day's I get the need for a festival out of my system other days I go and am just irritated by the masses of people. My ears perked up when he mentioned this festival being out of the city I thought we had a fighting chance and not jostled and tosseled by people all the day long. I was right. It was quaint and just perfect. It did remind me of Michigan EXCEPT for these beasts. None of these there. The festival was a mile long down a city road. When you got to the end they had a shuttle that took you over to Crystal River and the Three Sisters. The Three Sisters is three spring heads located in a close congregation to one another. The springs run a cool 72 degree's year round which is cold in the summer but warmer in the winter so all the manatee come and congregate for warmth. They are gentle giant beasts and swim so gracefully in the green blue waters, they are just a treat to watch.
 I have never in my life seen so many together in one spot. This area is roped off so swimmer's can't pester them which is exactly why the park ranger said they gather there. Anyone can hop in the water and take a swim with them if you can brave the cold. We did see a family of five with three boys under seven in wet suits waiting right at the rope edge so when the gentle beasts swam under in or out they were able to pet them.
 This is a mama and a baby.
And this is my baby who's childhood reality will be watching manatee in January from a nature walk over the most beautiful water ever, not freezing her butt off watching out a window every day. Really she has no idea about snow and what life looks like when it is bitter cold. Sometimes I feel like I have deprived her of that experience because there is some fun to be had. Mostly I add it to my "forever grateful" to God list for getting us here to Florida. It is case in point that He knows me better than myself because I love this. I deeply deeply love January walks to watch manatee. My life is full.

1 comment: