Friday, October 25, 2013

The power of play.

 This is one of Ella's BFF's Nessy.. Nessy gets Ella. One of those friends where you don't see them forever but you can pick right up where you left off. This kind of friend is a breath of fresh air and a gift. Sometimes I think you need these friends more than the daily ones because they are mired in the daily drudgeries. They just love you and accept you and move forward. I am so happy Ella has Nessy. Nessy is also Ethiopian, both of her parents were born and raised in Ethiopia. Not so sure where Nessy was born but she has lived in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Ella very much identifies with being Ethiopian so having a friend who shares that connection with her is important. Ella is also a lover of pure and simple play. She loves playing imaginary anything. I believe Ella could imagine she is just about anything. I mean she is good at it. I gotta admit I love that she is like that and we are not dealing with pre-tween stuff for which I think she is far too young ( might not be saying much since I think some of the tween stuff is far too old for tweens....lol) I am a big believer in innocence and keeping my kids innocent and sweet. I think all the drama of life will weigh them down the latter half of their years, why start it early?
 So given a grassy quad, they jump and jump and jump. I  can't imagine what is going on in their heads. Good pure sheer fun for fun's sake.

I am sure early childhood educators would have a lot to say about this. Philosophy aside, I want them to remember that childhood was fun.

No comments: