In the three years Ella has been at International Community School I have not spent much time helping or volunteering at the school. The main reason would be that I have to use vacation or sick time so Daddy has done most of what has been needed at the school. However this year we are looking into traveling to Ethiopia in May so he is reserving his time off and it is not as necessary for me to preserve off time. So I have had the opportunity to help out at her school this year. I picked just the right day to be the parent partner at the school, for Ella's first second grade field trip to Gatorland.
If you have never been to the Gatorland, I would highly suggest a detour from the glitzy attractions Orlando has to offer and walk into 'old world' Florida. Gatorland was founded in the 1950's. Its a big ole patch of acreage in the edge of the city. It is old but relevant. Florida has 2 million gators and it is essential that little and large folks alike be educated about them. You will encounter gators in Florida. If you haven't, its a matter of time. They are everywhere. So the staff did a little educational unit with the kids but during the day I realized that they were repeating the same exact stuff to everyone. Don't run zig zag from gators, the danger of falling and actually getting caught by the gator is greater.
Probably the nicest thing is the bird Avery. Just a bunch of parakeets. They charge a buck for a Popsicle stick with some bird seed stuck in honey. Hold the sticks out and the birds flock in droves to you. They do several 1.5 hour sessions a day. We went in right when they opened and left when they were closing. I gotta tell ya, it is delightful. There is something about playing with birds. I think it is that connecting with nature that I crave so much in this busy busy world. It gives back to me the simplicity I crave. It is an interaction I want to provide for my kids. I would say we are not so much animal people in that I don't have time nor do I want to care for them in my house. However I truly love animals a lot. I marvel at their sense of personality. I also respect that God gave them breath, life and blood similar to my own and I stand amazed and their variety and usefulness on this earth. I want to instill this in my kids. It's important. I want to go on hikes with my kids and canoeing in the wild, and until the day I can find the time to do that, I am grateful for places like Gatorland and the artificial experiences it provides.
So it was a good first field trip for the mama. Ella loved it. It was also the first dedicated time we had just the two of us. I am sure we have been shopping plenty just the two of us, however I usually had an agenda. This day my agenda was Ella, and that was the awesomest part of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment