Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ella at school

Ella is almost done with her first year of school.

Kindergarten conquered.

We sent Ella to International Community School which is a university model school. She was homeschooled Monday and Wednesday and went to the campus on Tuesday and Thursday. Friday we had the option of sending her to enrichment classes but we figured to save the money and continue doing all the things we always do which we feel was wonderful enrichment already!

I can say I loved the school. I love what Ella gleaned beyond the reading and writing and arithmatic. For example at school she has a baggie and every time she is "caught" doing something nice without being asked she is given a pom-pom to fill her baggie. When she has 10 she gets to go to the treasure box and pick out some goodies! Trust me that goes a long way and spills over to outside the classroom.

Yesterday I was in the classroom and the teacher said the room was chaos. I would say may be three people were speak at the same time, several people were walking around gathering things for the end of day. Far from chaos. I reflected on that and cherished that this non-chaotic peaceful, routined, lack of drama, love filled place is where Ella was when she was away from me and it is priceless. I loved the school for this.

That being said, homeshool is not  my thing. Even with the teacher I felt very on my own and still even after the year question if I did it right and if Ella is really where she needs to be. God forbid I was on my own!

I also remember someone directing me to think about all the bonding time you'll have with your child. Whaaaat? Ella was like a wild horse needing to be corralled. Bonding, not so much. We did have some fun times, I did teach her to read. I was beside her and again....priceless.

I did miss out a lot with Ezra. I remember him so vividly at 0-6 months or so and then I get a little hazy. Wonder why? That is when we started to homeschool Ella. I am sad about that. Now if I really put my mind to it I can remember him in his jump-a-roo outside, so sweet. But I remember more vividly the hassle of trying to keep all my eggs in a basket with homeshooling.

I need to mention too that both my husband and I work full time and did this. That accounts for something. Something big! I was hard pressed to find anything when I did a google search for people working full time and homeschooling. Something inside me is a bit sad I can't do this k-12. I can't its just too much. However we did it for one year and heading into one more year for sure. I don't know what the future holds but I am happy we have options beyond the norm which have worked.

You can't deny the sheer happiness of childhood in the picture above. I love it. Love love love.....This was Ella at school!

No comments: