Thursday, January 29, 2009

Though we don't favor EPCOT at all, we do actually love this agricultural research area. I think Binyam likes it because he has a high interest in sustainable agriculture. I kid you not he has once mentioned going back to school for just that, in the hopes that he could go back to Ethiopia and help in so many many ways! To tell you the truth I don't think schooling is really the way to go but going back to Ethiopia someday and doing development work is defiantly on the radar! I guess I just like growing things....I am not one of those with a green thumb. However the last few years at Boysville I did a significant garden with the boys and we were quite successful. I actually really enjoyed the entire process from picking plants to planting, watching them grown and then eating them! Loved it. I think I somehow like the science of this EPCOT place. I am ashamed to admit especially to my almost doctorate holding chemistry sister... I sat in chemistry class for a few days, every single day terrified. I think they were speaking Japanese in my chemistry class. I seriously went into my counselors' office crying. I wasn't going to make it if I had to stay in that class. I did not have a math mind. My mind worked better in English class (hard to tell from my terrible grammar). So I got out, but really it is interesting to me. Anyways I guess that is the draw for us to this obscure boring ride at EPCOT that we happen to LOVE!




That there is a pumpkin tree. They make the mickey gourds (seen at the bottom of the sign clustered with the normal pumpkins) by attaching a plexi-glass container with screws holding its two sides together around the plants vine. the container forces the pumpkin to grow within its confines which is mickey shaped. When the gourd is big enough they unscrew the two sides and wa-la!


Can you see that clearly.....A NINE POUND LEMON! Yummmm!


A tomato tree!

1 comment:

Christina said...

I believe degrees in sustainable agriculture are available and it would give you and "in" when you're ready to move to Ethopia. May want to see if there is a university extension service in your area, like the MSU extension service available through the county government here. May also want to check out MSU's site because they are a HUGE and i mean HUMONGOUS (spelling?) agriculture school.