Thursday, August 21, 2008
Introducing.....Fay!
Here she is, darling Fay reeking havoc all over the state. I have to say that it has been really interesting to me to watch the news the last few days. Its amazing to me the concentrated effort from so many people from the news to the government to ensure safety and keep us informed. Just about every day the Governor made a public service announcement with any updates which he thought to be crucial. The news media went right along with him. One station even interrupted regular stationing every ten minutes with updates, can't say I always liked that but I did feel as if I were being kept in the loop of things. So when Fay was above Haiti and Cuba there were a million predicted paths of where she would be going. It ended up coming up thought the Florida Keys then hopping and skipping across the state to just about and hour and a half south east of where I am at. At that point it decided to reek total havoc by defying all the future tellers and just stalling, however not running out of gas one bit. It just churned and spun over top of the area for days.
They had predicted it would drop one foot of rain. When I heard that I thought, "is that possible?" Not only was it possible...it didn't happen. Nope. Not one foot at all, but two!!!!!!!!!!! The Governor called it catastrophic flooding. It is the worst flooding in the area's history. Now every TV crew is out wading knee deep in the mucky water urging people not to drive thought it.
Its all been an education.
As for us here. The day it was predicted to be a category one hurricane and rip through central Florida it actually calmed down and remained good ole' tropical storm Fay. Work was closed Tuesday in anticipation of the storm, however it was just a light drizzle of rain all day long. Last night it seemed to "hit" us. Later in the evening the winds picked up and all night my neck kept whipping around as it seemed every minute or so someone threw a bucket of water on our windows. It sounded just like that. I also had a hard time with the shadows of the wild palm trees dancing all around. I was a little unnerved a few times. Funny coming into work this morning I took the picture above. It was a horrible blowing wild watery wind. I definitely don't think the picture did it justice!
Anyways I want to say this was my first survival of a major storm but this really wasn't the first. In 1992 I was in florida for just one week and that was the week that Hurricane Hugo hit. I was with teen missions and we were actually evacuated to Alabama. So this is my second survival story. To say its been an interesting week is an understatement!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment