Wednesday, October 15, 2014

It just makes me happy.

On many layers this photo makes me happy. Having the ability to have the eye to capture pictures, is a gift God gave me. I have always had an eye for pictures. Then the blessing to have the camera and the lens to take decent pictures. It makes me feel so grateful.

The class I took earlier this year has carried over to a club I follow in Facebook. The teacher challenged us to study different photo artist styles and attempt to replicate them. The artist I have first started with is Allison McSorley. I looked at all the photo's she had on her blog and really loved what she did. Basically she allowed a peek of light in and took photo's looking into that crack of light. most of her pictures were black and white. I loved it. I tried and tried to get that look. I complained about my old DSLR full of specks of dirt on the sensor, my cheapy lenses, and of course compared myself to others and felt down about the whole thing. Then I plugged my photo's into the computer and saw this. When I posted it on the photo club the teacher said "nailed it" and "love it". Those people who I compared myself to got criticism that their photo wasn't right. Sometimes I feel like I have lost myself. I don't have time anymore to do a lot of the things that I like and love. I am so grateful when one little photo turns out right. It sort of silly when you peel the layer back one more.

Look at that face. This is what really and truly makes me happy. I am so happy when I look at those chubby baby cheeks, that goofy look probably wondering why his mama told him to look out the window! I am learning to shift my focus from what things I thought had mattered in the past to what really matters now. I am so glad I have this little ability to capture my kids frozen in time for a slice of a second. All of this just makes me happy!

Life sometimes is about learning to shift focus from things we thought were important. Sometimes these things are idols created in our hearts, even if they are missions. I have missed missions so hard for so long (even though I am doing a bitty bit of that) that I feel lost sometimes. May be it is I have a fear that I am not doing it right. Perfect loves casts out fear and I remember Jesus had 12 he poured his life into. He could have had so many more. Those 12 were the vision shifters because the vision shifted with them. So I am reminded its the very little things that matter. When I see a bit of a miracle in a picture, it teaches my kids the gravity of who God is. They learn to un-peel the layers and find He is the center of it all.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I also find that taking pictures helps get my thoughts off of all my distracting and stress inducing worries to focus on one beautiful thing at a time. The pictue itself doesn't always have to turn out good. In that moment when I looked at beauty with my eyes it was good enough. Though I love it when they turn out ok.