Day two we arrived at San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was quite an event. People lined just about every inch of the boat for our arrival in. Almost all the other ports we arrived in very early in the morning, but Puerto Rico we came in at 2pm. Everyone was able to watch and I soon realized why. The pictures of El Murro fort I had posted in earlier post not once but twice was the view taken from the deck of the boat as we pulled into port. It was so beautiful. Plus there were people returning home. The people we were standing next to were meeting family for the day. I imagined a grand party for them for the day and felt so happy for their joy. It reminded me of times landing in foreign countries when on missions trips. The plane would touch down and the people would cheer and clap. I always wondered if they cheered to be alive or be home. I suppose it was home, many had been away in a foreign place for so long so it was a gift to be home. San Juan would be a beautiful home to return to. Return? Based on it's beauty I might have never left......
Not too long after entering we came across the gallows. The wall had this painting of the old tall ships. I was so amazed how this looked like it was drawn just yesterday when in actuality it was in the 1600's. The word in the top left side and seems to look like a "m" is actually an old Spanish word for "excrement". Someone wasn't too happy to be in the gallows.... Whoever it was, most likely a ship captain, drew these with one reddish brown marking device and candle ask in a very darkened room with very little outside light.
This is one of my favorite pictures. I just love it. In many ways it reminds me of St. Augustine right here in Florida and the link and connection over time, over sea, over land is fascinating to me. I have a very similar picture I took in St. Augustine actually...Plus I love all the contrast in the picture with just three colors, black white and brown....Just love it.
The tiniest details, I just love. I think I love tiny details so much because like these nails which seem so insignificant are really holding everything together. It reminds me that God is mindful of even the littlest details. He is mindful of me.
And the patina, oh I just loved it. This was looking up a massive old wall. Again, reminded me that age brings with it a different beauty than youth and it is equally as beautiful in a different way. I was so happy I had slowed down enough to see these details. So many lessons God allows us to see when we do. This trip was such a treasure.....









No comments:
Post a Comment