Wednesday, September 19, 2012

With eyes wide open

This is the same child that once had me shaking in fear that someone would think I was doing something awful to her when in reality what I was doing was giving her a shower a the camp ground public shower. A shower. Which resulted in screaming, fearful crying and trembling. I am not kidding you. Its one of those parent moments when you want to look around and wonder if you got sucked into some vortex that is void of reality. Or you wonder, how on earth did I get here and who is this screaming child calling me mommy. Can't be me. Then a splash of water and a scream skreetch me back to reality. Do you know what half the screaming and carrying on is about. Water in her eyes. You following me here? And just to be clear on the picture above. Its taken under water. Humph.

A dear friend reminded me of this verse, "He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young." Isaiah 40:11 Take a deep breath. This is life. He is leading me as I lead them..... 

There are a million other moments which will challenge you and in the grand scheme of things this is little. Or is it? To Ella? Reminds me of another verse....Ephesians 1:18. Its a prayer I have prayed many times. Open the eyes of my understanding Lord. Things aren't always what they seem. I want to be there in every moment of need for my children. I don't know what it is but showers scare Ella. I am pretty sure its just her lack of familiarity with them (I can hear a thousand voices saying camp showers scare me too.....). I want to walk through parenting with my eyes wide open. It is a deep prayer of mine. To connect with my kids. Especially so when they are underwater they can clearly see me and I can point them to Christ.

No comments: