I had a conversation in the car tonight with Ella which reminded me how important being a mother is. She said she was with the neighbor kids when one of them said that she didn't believe in God but she did in the Bible, Ella also added that she said that she only prays to be funny. Ella sounded disgusted by the conversation she had. I felt a similar sort of feeling arising in defense of God being a joke and tempering that feeling with the knowledge of who children are. so I had to take a deep breath and instead of defending I asked Ella what she thought about that. She said there was another neighbor child with her who goes to a Christian school and they joined forces. Ella and the boy told the little girl that she didn't make any sense and if she believed in the Bible she had to believe in God too. They told her it wasn't nice to make praying a joke.
I realized a few things in that moment. As soon as Ella said the neighbor boy was with her I felt a flood of relief. As we come out of Easter Ella was really hung up on the story of Peter cutting off a guard's ear in defense of Jesus. I didn't want her to get hung up on the gore and sensational aspect of the story but rather to know that Peter was was acting outside of his trust in who Jesus was. The parallel struck me. We teach our children the best we can and have to leave the rest to Him. Him who has it all in His hands anyway. He had my child's back when I couldn't. He used unity of two who believed to witness to one who did not. Instead of defending or disgust I marvel at who God is in the life of my child and this humbles me to know I don't have to control everything in situations in their lives just like Peter. I also was able to see God working through my wee little one. I could see the work many have poured into her. It reminded me that the long days, the tedium and boredom of other days were not wasted. God is amassing them into something....or someone....and that makes a world of difference
I am proud of these wee little witnesses. May it just be the beginning
Monday, April 21, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment