Thursday, June 10, 2010

Remembering China...

Thanks to a good friend of mine, Ella and I went to see Karate Kid last night. I can't say as I thought it was any good compared to the original, couldn't even hold a candle to it, in my opinion! However I guess if I was 10 - it would probably be pretty cool!

Mostly got me thinking about China. It was filmed in Beijing, and I was there too once upon a time.

This is Tienanmen Square. Where the famous revolution happened, now it is just a milling about spot for tourists and Chinese alike. When you are there and look around at how huge the square is, you can see why it was such an impressive spot to stage an uprising. The sheer size of it alone is intimidating. Tienanmen Square looks directly at the Forbidden City, called that because in the days when the Emperor was ruling no "common" folk were allowed into it - at all. It was a huge sprawling estate. When we first went in and caught our breath, I realized a meandering wasn't going to cut it. You had to hoof it through this place and hope you got your money's worth - enough to seer it in your mind forever just in case you never got back that way!
It was truly gorgeous. What I wouldn't give to go back with my good camera!!!!!!! See those black pots down there on the ground? Those were filled with water and used as a fire hydrant. If there was a fire of any sort, water was hauled from those black pots to put it out.......
Course there was so much history there you couldn't even scratch the surface!!!!!

Just admire its beauty.
This was the actual Emperor's throne. Its one of those things for me that I just couldn't look at long enough. I could get lost in the echo's of history in just this one room!

They don't look too happy to me......and jeez are they thin!!!!!!!!!

These are some kids on my team eating at a restaurant. One of my favorite meals in China.

They had this huge lazy susan filled with all kind of goodies, including eel eggs.
Our wait staff probly talking about us. I like this picture because not long after it we descended on the walls and stripped them bare. I bought the wall hanging that is to the absolute left, just starting off the picture. It no longer hangs there.....it made a move to my loft/study! It looks gorgeous too.

No comments: