
I was just about to post these pictures last week when I saw this week's challenge was "sky". Perfect. In my opinion there is no more fantastic view of the sky as when a shuttle is blasting off to space in it!!!!!!!!

This was the last flight of the space shuttle Atlantis. At this point in the picture above it had burned off 2 million pounds of fuel.
Amazing........I was talking to a friend recently who said she had no interest in seeing this. I said that's because you never had. If you had you would be just amazed. There are seven souls being literally blasted beyond our atmosphere to a place we can only imagine in our minds. It really is breathtaking and spectacular. There are only two shuttle missions left - if your able you should come and see one....its rapidly becoming a once in a life time experience.....
It's plume trailing........
It's space shuttle Atlantis's final lift off May 15, 2010
High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
— John Gillespie Magee, Jr



19 comments:
yay! I got to see my first shuttle take off down on Cocoa beach a few years ago - it's soooo much cooler than you'd think it is. My husband, who spent summers down there growing up, says there's nothing cooler than a night launch, but I don't know that they do those any more. Thanks for sharing. :)
Wow, craziness! Great captures!
Now that is something that I have yet to see for myself. Great job capturing the take off. :)
Well since the shuttle program is shutting down permanently early 2011...the night launches are officially over unless one of the remaining two has to be rescheduled to a night launch...they are amazing the whole night sky goes orange....Crazy! I didn't grow up here so it is still SO captivating!!!
FYI the shuttle I took pictures of landed yesterday - mission accomplished and back home safely!
Too cool! I've wanted to see a shuttle lift-off, but now I'm not sure I'll ever get the chance. :( Oh well- at least you've captured it for me!
Awesome shots!!
Very special shots. Have a heavenly day.
Wow! Very cool!
I've never seen the a shuttle take off. I'm sure it's glorious. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
I LOVE that poem and the pictures are amazing. You are so lucky! I doubt I'll get a chance to see that. Thanks for the pictures.
Wow! Those are so cool!
I'd love to see one... but I doubt that will happen. ;)
Absolutely amazing!
Absolutely gorgeous! How appropriate for 'Sky' week.
I went to 'boot camp' for my mission trip on merrit island fl. Its not so fun to listen to rockets take off at 4 in the morning but they are fun to look at!
I've always wanted to get to see one, but probably never will......unless maybe I travel to Russia ;)
http://www.theiheartblog.com
wow! now those are amazing sky shots! thank you for sharing them!
Soooooooo amazing! I would love to see a Shuttle launch. It was on my mom's "bucket list" and my parents made their way to Florida in February to see the night launch. It was delayed, and freezing, but they saw it and were so glad they did.
What an amazing and unique set of sky pictures - so cool! Thanks for sharing!
That is amazing! There really is something magical about space shuttles taking off into a part of the world we can only imagine. If I ever have the chance to see one, I will definitely jump at the opportunity. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment