
Christmas 07 is all but a memory now on this last day of the year. Gone behind us in a long line-up of remembrances taking their stand against time.
Here in Orlando we did it all...all that we could manage to do with the time we had. We did fireworks, light lightings, "snow" sessions, present opening, shopping, mall watching, caroling door to door, parties, baking.....all the usual suspects of the holiday season. With all the experiences and memories I find sometimes the proverbial; "What is Christmas all about?" strikes hard and heavy in my heart. It is easy to loose sight of the real meaning in the hustle and bustle of all the activities. So every year I try to gain perspective by opening my eyes and searching for meaning. It is all about Jesus, but what are we to do with that on this memorial of his birthday?
This year Binyam, Ella and I participated with Nathanielshope.org Christmas caroling at local hospitals on Christmas day to sick children. We were assigned to carol at Florida Children's hospital. We spent nearly three hours there caroling in the lobby and on the floors, handing out cards, candy, toys and the message of hope for the holiday season.
What happened on the pediatric ICU has both haunted me and reminded me of the reason for the season. I have no idea what I thought "problems in ICU" meant???? But our caroling bunch was not allowed to go to the floor due to the problems. However they did want all the goodies to get there so they brought a few from our bunch up just to deliver the good. I was one of the chosen and off I went....
What I found left a deep impression of sadness in my heart. As we approached the ward's doors there was a mother sitting there with a gaze of steel at the very doors we walked though. Her little girl was there. It was a heart wrenching scene to see this mother's sole thought of that little girl alone without her and in reality it was the mother who was the alone one, the little one had joined the angels.
I have a profound sense of sadness as I even write this - hard to hold back the tears, hard even to make sense of something like this, but if I don't seek to make sense of it then it is senseless. Years ago when my good friends lost their infant son I was tempted to think the same thing, but warned that something like this can never ever be senseless. I wonder too if years beyond that that 12 dear friends thought the lose of Jesus was senseless too?
I found in that ICU unit a poignant reason for the season...hope. The dictionary describes hope as the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best. I dare say that none of that is about the things and stuff of the holidays but rather the very essence of Christmas..that we know our God made an amazing entrance into the world, he pulled apart time, stepped onto the scene and said I am here for you. Our deepest desire that there is meaning to life is full filled in a relationship with Him and our need to know that all of "this" is for a reason and not just random chance. I encourage you that if you had not reconciled a relationship with Jesus Christ that you seek him, and if in the passage of time and the hustle and bustle of life if you have lost sight of thing profoundly important to you that you take time to seek the hope to be had in Him!
I guess I did not mean to preach, but let that be in memory of that nameless little angel who tore into my life on Christmas morning 2007 and reminded me about hope. I do pray that as you think about it, honor her life by thanking God for all his wonderful gifts to you this season, none of which can be bought or sold.



No comments:
Post a Comment