Sunday, May 26, 2013

Radio Silence

Where have we been? Good question. What I would have liked to blog about I couldn't and can't. Someday but not now. Since the event comsumed our lives, we haven't done much of anything for a long long time. I realized of late I haven't even been taking pictures of my kids. The passage of time passing me by.....I have to get back to keeping track of my days. I realized during the unnamed event that this blog is for me, and my own family and how over time I have little by little kept track of our memories and now I can look back and see how my babies have grown little by little day by day over the years. So back I go....

So what have we been doing....Well painting. Long before the incident we needed to paint out house so we launched out on a mission to do just that. I suppose it all started with finding a color to match our oak cabinets in the kitchen. Started with this picture....
I saw it and something about it reminded me of my childhood times spent at Greenfield Village and the simple beauty of days long past. I fell in love with the color and wanted it in my kitchen. One problem. The paint color is manufactured in Europe. In fact the color was created from colors in the Calke Abby in England seen here....
I had to have it so off to Home Depot I went and woo hoo they could match the color! So the kitchen in Calke green manufactured by Farrow and Ball. This initial decision launched me into an indebth study of Farrow and Ball colors their undertones, matching colors, it was a weeks long process and I am not going to lie it stressed me out to no end. I hated that it stressed me out since it was just stuff and who cares about stuff but it was a lot of work and I only wanted to have to do it once!!!!!!!!!!! I ended up painting the rest rest of the kitchen Old White by Farrow and Ball which looks like a faint gray with green mixed in. Some people think it is green.....Its gray though.
Next the HUGE livingroom with 20 ft. celings. I made a radical departure here. Mostly due to the fact that we had painted the upstairs loft area and no one seemed to be able to notice. All that work and no one notices? Radial departure.....
Its hard to see with the back light but it is a deep bluish grey by Farrow and Ball called Downpipe in an effort to mimic the name, henceforth the color. The beauty of the color on this wall is that it pulls your eyes outside and really frames the nice little view we have!
Then the rest of the space I went with a color from Farrow and Ball called pigeon, another blue/green gray. It was very shocking at first because it was SO different then the bland painters beige that was all over the entire house. The other "issue" with the color is that it acted much like a mood ring and completely changed colors depending on the time of day and sunlight cast on it. Sometimes it looks seafoam green, other times, light army green, other times a solid gray, other times powder blue it is very akin to its namesake pigeon. It took me some time to get use to it. I liked it but it was  different and I wasn't a huge fan of the seafoam green phase of day. When our stuff was back up I absolutely loved it.




                                                It was a very different look than I had originally imagined. I thought there would be warm brown's. Ended up with  cold grays. It has a very sophisticated feel and I just love it.













We reframed my drawings from Ethiopian, and one last "little" addition....fans.
You can see from the fans picture how radically differnt the left side wall looks from the wall center bottom. Same color. Pigeon. The light is just hitting it different.

So, what have we been up to? There you have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...


So what color did you paint the bathroom? Just joking. Can't wait to see it all when we return in the fall. Love to all of you. Pam

Anonymous said...

I love it! What a project. I'm also curious about your drawings from Ethiopia. Do you have them posted online somewhere? I hope you are well, whatever the event was, and that you do continue to chronicle your days. It's hard to keep up on, but I can imagine how you'd treasure it when the littles are big.